What Are the Benefits of Premium Intraocular Lenses?
Intraocular lenses are used to help patients see clearer by using artificial lenses that function and look like natural lenses. Some benefits of premium IOLs include:
- Improve eyesight at every distance
- Decrease the need for glasses or contacts
- Treat refractive errors
- Fix cataracts
- Enable a more active lifestyle
- Several IOL options are available
What are premium intraocular lenses?
Premium intraocular lenses (IOLs) are a type of artificial lens used to replace the eye's natural, clouded lens (called a cataract) during cataract surgery. In addition to improving vision loss caused by cataracts, IOLs can treat other vision concerns, such as refractive errors. If you are a patient with a common refractive error who wishes to reduce their dependence on glasses or contacts following cataract surgery, there may be a premium IOL option that could benefit you. If you have myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), presbyopia (age-related vision loss), or astigmatism (abnormally shaped cornea), and are looking at your options for cataract surgery, speak with our West County Ophthalmology team about our premium IOLs. Contact one of our centers in Chesterfield or O'Fallon, MO to learn more about these advanced options.
What Are the Types Of Intraocular Lenses?
At West County Ophthalmology, we pride ourselves on providing our patients with a variety of options to meet their unique needs. If you're having cataract surgery, there are a number of intraocular lenses we can use to meet your vision and lifestyle needs, as well as budget. Some of the IOL options we offer include:
- Multifocal IOLs: Multifocal IOLs are premium lenses that can improve your full-range vision and create a sharper focus for your focal zones. One of the main benefits of these lenses is they can minimize your need for glasses and can reduce astigmatism.
- Monofocal IOLs: Monofocal IOLs have a fixed focus for one distance, such as nearsightedness or farsightedness and are great for patients who are on a budget. While your vision should improve, you may still need glasses for certain tasks.
- Extended Range IOLs: Extended depths of focus IOLs increase near and intermediate vision in those who have presbyopia while also maintaining distance vision.
- Toric IOLs: Though torric IOLs are monofocal lenses, they still allow for the ability to correct myopia, hyperopia, and presbyopia, as well as astigmatism. Keep in mind, however, with toric IOLS, you may still need to wear glasses for certain tasks.
- Standard IOLs: These are a basic lens replacement option and are monofocal implants that correct a singular focal point, often distance. Your vision will be better with these lenses, however, you will still likely need to wear glasses.
What can I expect with premium IOLs?
During your initial consultation appointments for cataract surgery, our ophthalmologists can evaluate your vision and present you with the different premium IOL options that could address your needs. Our practice carries several different lenses that are biocompatible and FDA-approved. Depending on your vision concerns, you may be able to get lenses that improve distance or near vision, night vision, or that can correct astigmatism.
When you select a premium IOL option, you can reduce your dependence on glasses or contacts. Some patients can even have clear vision following surgery without corrective lenses. Your ophthalmologist can help determine if you are a candidate for this type of lens.
Lenses for clear vision
If cataracts are currently threatening your vision and quality of life, then cataract surgery with a premium IOL can help save your vision from cataracts and correct many common refractive errors. Patients who choose the premium IOL option have the ability to further improve their vision and even reduce their dependence on glasses or contacts. Contact West County Ophthalmology to schedule a consultation for cataract surgery and learn about all the different premium IOL options available to you. Our compassionate personnel can help you select the premium IOL best suited for your lifestyle.
Premium Intraocular Lenses FAQ
How do premium IOLs fix my vision?
Premium IOLs are implanted in the eye during lens replacement surgery. Replacing your natural lens is performed during cataract surgery or refractive lens exchange surgery. The lens works as the natural lens in your eye and fixes your vision issue.
How do I know if I can get a premium IOL?
If you can't see at multiple distances, you may be a candidate for premium IOLs at our Chesterfield or O'Fallen, MA locations. Additionally, you may qualify for premium IOLs if you have astigmatism.
Will I still have to wear my glasses?
While standard IOLs may still require glasses, one of the benefits of premium IOLs is that glasses will not be necessary. Premium IOLs can address multiple vision issues.
"I had to see doctor Whitney Brothers on an emergency visit. She immediately put me in ease, sensing my anxiety over what my emergency was about. She talked to me the entire time. Relaying everything that she found as she found it. She diagnosed the issue, outcome and treatment plan, reiterating what I should do for ANY change in my status. Most of all, she saw me as a human that was scared and she alleviated all my fears. God bless you."- M.S. / Healthgrades / Aug 31, 2023
"Great practice, fantastic people, and a very modern optical. Never a bad experience."- J.T. / Google / Jul 11, 2023
"Took my daughter in for issues she was having. I was so grateful she was able to be seen by an ophthalmologist. They were also able to update her contacts and glasses during the same visit. Best of all, they were able to put new lenses in her old, favorite frames. Everyone was very helpful and professional. Thank you for great healthcare!!"- K.L. / Google / Jun 27, 2023
"I have been seeing Dr Shields & his staff for years. They are the best! It is unfortunate that others have not had that experience."- C.T. / Google / Jun 12, 2023
"Very professionally pleasant and informative."- S.S. / Healthgrades / Apr 21, 2023